Monday, November 8, 2010

Reflection

As I enter the second half of my young journey in culinary school, let me take a few seconds to just look back. It has, in the grand scheme of time, been very short. But has the staying power of my first flesh searing burn from the overheated sauté pan which has branded my right arm for the rest of time. It was a very random, spur of the moment decision to embark in this new direction. One day I realized that food was my true passion and in a blink of an eye I was making my way across the Pacific to Los Angeles from the reassuring warmth of my beautiful home, Hawaii. Culinary school was my destination. A completely new life was about to unfold before me. It was a new home, new town, new lifestyle, new culture and new people. I was intimidated, to put it lightly. Ok, I was mortified. But I soldiered on in pursuit of discipline, strength, and a few good meals! I, coming from the middle of nowhere in the world, felt that I couldn't compete with the likes of these Los Angeles folk. But I just wanted to learn, this was definitely the place to do so. I was lost, confused and felt so out of my element and in over my head every second of my first term. Knife cuts to attempt with precision, kitchen equipment to memorize, impatient Chefs to please and trying not to look petrified all the while. It was exhausting; it broke me a few times. I thought of giving up many times in those first few weeks. But it got better, much better. We moved on to actual cooking, making complete dishes, stocks, sauces, fabricating meats, poultry and fish. It started to become exhilarating. The challenge of a time crunch, the adrenalin, the sweat, bloodshed and 3rd degree burns….ah yes, I felt alive! I actually knew what I was doing (most of the time); I had the confidence to shine a little. A mutual respect and a real sense of camaraderie with my fellow classmates was starting to blossom. It really has been a great time, trying for sure, but great. I know I will look back on this short time and smile and feel good about it. Did culinary school teach me what I expected so far? No. It has not taught me how to be an amazing Chef according to what I cook and how I cook it, given me that amazing, "Signature dish" that will rake in thousands or even secured me a job. But what it has given me are the steps to become an amazing Chef and person through hard work, discipline, team work, appreciation, and a balance between humility and confidence. What do I expect for the next 6 months? More burns, more cuts, more yelling hard-ass instructors, maybe a few more tears….I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment